Tuesday 7 May 2013

7.6 describe the effects on the atomic and mass numbers of a nucleus of the emission of each of the three main types of radiation

Alpha makes an atom go down 2 on its atomic number and four on its atomic mass: it will change to the element with a the atomic number 2 less than it was.

When beta radiation occurs a neutron splits into a proton and a electron, the electron is emitted from the atom, but the proton stays in the nucleus: this changes the atomic number up one, the element becomes that with the next atomic number up. The mass number remains the same as a neutron- mass 1- became a proton- mass 1.

Gamma rays have no specific effect on the atomic or mass number.

4 comments:

  1. This has really helped me so much, words cannot express my gratitude.
    I feel like I owe you a drink or something lol :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to say all of these notes have helped me huge amounts. I use them for all my sciences and they are not only informative but also very reliable. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot for ur effort. These notes were very helpful and ur beautiful.

    ReplyDelete